Genymotion (formerly Androvm) is all virtual android environment i need. Recently, i play with 3D engine that needs OpenGL 2.0. The default android emulator doesn’t have the capability to it. With genymotion, i can run OpenGL application well. To install Genymotion Android Emulator to your computer is easy as a cake.
Here some features i copied from their FAQ.
Android as its best
- OpenGL acceleration to achieve the best 3D performance
- Install application from Google Play
- Enable full screen option and improve your experience
- Start multiple virtual device at the same time
- Manage sensors:
- Battery level / status
- Directly command virtual devices sensors with Genymotion shell
- Fully compatible with ADB. You can control your virtual device from the host
Manage your devices
- Easy to install
- Compatible with Microsoft Windows 32/64 bits, Mac OSX 10.5+ and Linux 32/64 bits
- Configure virtual devices:
- Screen resolution
- Memory quantity
- CPU unit quantity
- Download and deploy easily the lastests Genymotion Virtual Device
Start your virtual devices from Eclipse
- Test your applications with Genymotion
Operating System requirements
You need one of the following system:
- Microsoft Windows XP SP3 (32 or 64 bits)
- Microsoft Windows Vista (32 or 64 bits)
- Microsoft Windows 7 (32 or 64 bits)
- Linux Ubuntu 12.04
- Linux Ubuntu 12.10
- Mac OS X 10.X
- OpenGL 2.0 capable graphic card, with an up-to-date driver
- VT-x or AMD-V capable CPU, enabled in BIOS settings
- At least 512MB of RAM memory
- At least 100 MB of free space on Hard Drive for Genymotion installation) A minimum of 2GB of free space is required to deploy each Genymotion virtual devices. They might need more than 8 GB depending on your usage of the virtual devices and the applications you have installed.
- Internet connection (installation and updates)
- Screen resolution greater than 1024 x 768 pixels
- Oracle VirtualBox >= 4.1 (greater is better)
- Go to Genymotion register page
- In signup form, fill the fields with your personnal informations
- Click on Sign up button
- You’ll receive a validation E-mail. Click on the validation link to finish
- You’ll receive another E-mail, indicating that your registration is now complete
Download and Install Oracle VirtualBox
If you don’t already have VirtualBox installed, read the following section.
- WindowsThe simpliest way to install VirtualBox is to download the Genymotion package that contains VirtualBox installer here
- MacOS XGo to VirtualBox download page and get the MacOS X dmg file. Open the dmg file and follow the installation steps. When finished, reboot.
- LinuxCheck your repositories: almost every GNU/Linux have a package installer for VirtualBox. If not, or if you need to install a specific version, go to VirtualBox download page
- Go to official Genymotion download page
- Select the package corresponding to your system and download it
Depending of your system, follow the install process:
- Double click on msi installer
- Choose the installer language (the Genymotion language depends of your system language) and click on Next button
- Click on Next button again
- Change the path if needed (the default path is C:Program FilesGenymobileGenymotion) then click on Next button
- Click on Next button again
- Choose weither or not create desktop icon. Then click on Next button
- Click on Install button
- Click on Finish button
- MacOS X
- Open the dmg installer
- Move Genymotion and Genymotion shell to application directory
- LinuxIn a terminal:
chmod +x [InstallerPath]/genymotion.bin [InstallerPath]/genymotion.bin
By default genymotion does not include with google apps. If you want to install google apps then you should:
1. Install Genymotion ARM Translation from this link: http://fileups.net/file/0W998R. The latest release is v1.1. Just drag and drop to your genymotion emulator window. Click “yes” if it is ask you to install it. And restart.
2. Drag and drop gapps file with your relevant emulator device and OS.
3. Once done, restart the emulator then it will be google apps inside your emulator now.
Let emulator upgrade google apps to the latest version.
Here is some screenshot:
Genymotion with eclipse plugin
Example application: Autumn Grove 3D that uses OpenGL 2.0